Saturday, October 24, 2015

Thanksgiving for Turkeys

Years ago, I was sitting on our couch, and this story was bubbling up inside of me. I got paper and pen and let it pour out.


I wondered where it came from. I wasn't as of a yet, a vegetarian, but it seemed to be pointing me in that direction.

I had become a vegetarian once before for approximately six months. I had done it for health reasons and was getting along on it pretty well. Then we adopted our daughter; she was three days old when she came into our lives. Her pediatrician told me that I would need to incorporate meat into our meals, that our daughter would need to have it has part of her diet, being a growing child. I did not know then what I know now, and I added meat back into my diet.

Many years later, I became a vegetarian again, as did my daughter. I know that my health is better for it, and also my conscience.

Turkeys are cool. They can walk tall and strut around. They can actually fly and like to sleep in trees.


Their feathers can look like layers of colors, and usually run dark. The most colorful part of their bodies are their heads. Their necks may be red and they usually have blue around their eyes.


Their tail feathers can be a range of colors including brown, tan, white, and gray. The male turkey spreads out his tail feathers to become more attractive to the female.


Whether you are a vegetarian, become one or not, it is important to eat more vegetables, and to include fresh ones in your diet.


When you eat something other than turkey, then it becomes a Thanksgiving for turkeys.

Cheryl Paton