Sunday, April 21, 2013

Art on Products - Some History

Here you can find out about some of the background about CherylsArt; the CherylsArt that is on Zazzle and 3dRose.

When I was a kid, one of my elementary school teachers had asked, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" The first answer that I thought was artist. But for some reason, at the time, I thought, "No. I'd better come up with a second choice."

For whatever reason I thought no, I can only guess. Perhaps it was in my subconscious that artists don't become successful, at least not in their lifetime, or so it seemed. Or perhaps it was because I got the most praise and encouragement to work on math, from my father. So for whatever reason it was, it was a decision that I made way back when, that I've had to overcome, and Have. I made a new decision.

As a new mom, one day I was out with my daughter, taking the round about way home through some of the neighborhood. I glanced over and saw a yard sale that had a two sided easel for sale. One side was higher than the other side. My heart sang! I can have the taller side and my daughter can have the other side! I felt blessed to be driving home with the two sided easel in the back of my car.
I picked this easel to showcase because it is two-sided, has basic trays on each side, and the legs are adjustable.

When I decided to become a professional artist, I wasn't all that good at it. It wasn't something I had been honing all of those years. I had to learn skills. So I set about practicing; watching Bob Ross, purchasing and reading artist books and doing the exercises. I also attended some artist workshops.

Once I got some techniques down, I figured I should decide on what kind of art I wanted to create. One day a sales clerk commented that as I got better at painting (Which is the main type of art I was doing at the time.), I would want to buy bigger canvases. After that purchase, I commenced to buying bigger canvases. It was kind of nice painting large. I joined an artist's group and exhibited some of my paintings. That didn't go over so well, especially when I took in a rather large shark painting to display. I painted the shark so that I could practice painting teeth, lol. But I did get some comments that so and so would like that kind of a design on a t-shirt. Hmmmm.

Anyway, I searched for other avenues of making art. I have always liked functional art, art on things that had a functional purpose. I read about floor cloths and started making those. I sold some at an art fair. I made some more, but also realized that I was running out of space to create them; it required getting down on the cement floor to glue (hem) the edges, and leave them there with weights on the hems, while they dried.

I went smaller and started making pet placemats. Size wise, it was working out better; I didn't have to get down on the floor so much, but then I had placemats drying on the washing machine and dryer, and wherever I could find a place. I sold some to friends, around town, and also on the internet. I got great positive feedback, yet I knew I didn't want to keep wondering where all I was going to place them, and what I would do if I received any large orders.

I went smaller, and started hand painting postcards. I got an order for fifty and graciously accommodated my customer. It was pretty cool. They all fit on my table; I didn't have to worry about size and space. Yay! It seemed that small was the better choice for me.

I really got in to painting a particular design. Then it wasn't so appealing to me to paint it over and over again. Hmmmm.

I was figuring out my don't likes and transforming them into my do likes. I did like painting small. I didn't like repetition so much. Hmmmm. My next step was the internet in a bigger way. I could paint small. A print on demand company could easily do the repetition part. Yay! A win win!

It took a couple of tries to find a print on demand company that was a good fit for me. It was another process of figuring out my likes and don't likes, and then focusing more on the likes. That led me to the one that I have worked in association with for over 15 years.

I had already come up with a business name, back when I was making floor cloths, Creative Brushstrokes, LLC. It was too long to fit in the number of boxes I was allowed to use on the print on demand site, Zazzle.com, so I went with my first name. That is how CherylsArt came about.

I have been creating small designs ever since, and love it. I love the freedom it gives me in creating, and that the print on demand company does the printing, shipping, and billing. My designs are printed on every day products, including t-shirts, cups, and magnets; all very functional choices. It works for me.

Another one of my loves is cats. Our cat Muffin is so full of love. I did a picture of her in pointillism and put it on a background painting of hearts that I had did. Doesn't she look adorable!


She seemed to be a purr-fect match for conveying some love.

Hope you enjoyed reading about my background. Wishing you a blessed and great day!

p.s. If you like my store, please share the link with others. When you make a purchase, Zazzle will take it back if you don't love it, within 30 days of your receipt. Thank you.

Cheryl Paton

No comments:

Post a Comment