Thursday, May 7, 2015

Sparrow in Cherry Blossom Tree Plein-Air

I finally took the plunge and did a plain air drawing. I wanted to keep things simple so I opted for colored pencils and drawing paper. Perhaps some other time, I might try plein-air with paints.

I decided to go down town by the waterfront. I had planned on painting a duck or two; I've seen them down by the waterfront before. But that day, they weren't around.

While I ate my lunch on the deck of of the restaurant, I perused the sights to see what might be a good subject. There were people bicycling on the rail trail, and I gave that some thought. I cataloged general shapes of such in my mind.

The other thing that caught my attention was the sparrows flitting about. Some even came pretty close; one even perched on the railing near where I sat. I scanned his body and tried to keep the details in my mind. In a minute he flew away.

Ah, such is the venue when your subject has wings, Anyway, the sparrow won, and I commenced to drawing as much as I could from memory. I got the main part of his body done and some of the noticeable markings on the feathers. I knew I could do a computer search when I got home, or even hopefully have some of the sparrows that frequent my backyard to fill in as models.

As I continued to glance around I also noticed cherry blossom trees near by. Ah, that would be a nice compliment to help frame my feathered friend.

So this is what I came up with.

The first drawing is shown with a white background.


On this one, I added some blue sky with my computer air brush software. It gives it a kind of abstract sky affect.


Check here for matching address labels.

Cheryl Paton

No comments:

Post a Comment